So You Want to Be a Cyber Security Professional - page 4
Open The Door To A Cyber Security Career
Rice added that there are many other paths to being a cyber security pro. "Not only can being a security administrator be good, but also the mailing lists, and the open source community projects that are out there are phenomenal ways [to get experience]. The great thing about information technology is that there is no age limit. You can be 12 and smart and be on a mailing list. that's a great way [to learn]because you're a part of the community, you improve the community and these projects get you involved."
Rice finished with a parting thought, "Follow your heart. The thing that's really going to keep you going in this profession is interest, rather than a paycheck. Paychecks are great, don't get me wrong, but... it's the interest."
Rob Reilly is a professional technology writer and consultant whose articles appear in various Linux media outlets. He offers professional writing and seminar services on Linux desktop applications, portable computing and presentation technology. He's always interested in covering cool Linux stories. Send him a note or visit his web site at http://home.earthlink.net/~robreilly.
- 1Linux Top 3: Fedora 24, Peppermint 7 and Solus 1.2
- 2Linux Top 3: Alpine Linux 3.4, deepin 15.2 and Linux Lite 3.0
- 3Linux 4.7 Set to Boost Live Patching, Security and Power Management
- 4Linux 4.6 Charred Weasel adds USB 3.1 Support
- 5Linux Top 3: OpenIndiana 2016.04, Ubuntu 16.04 and Debian's New Leader