Linux Bug #1: Bad Documentation
Finished with exit status 1The Internet and Google enable laziness in FOSS development because they make it too easy to abdicate the job of proper documentation to "The community." Telling users and potential contributors to use Google, mailing lists, and forums is not documentation. It's a way to guarantee having fewer users, unhappy users, and fewer contributors.
Let me share with you how I spent much of the past week. (Lately I've been spending a lot of time wrestling with application problems; this is just one example.) A certain application that I use every day was failing on one command and returning this fine unhelpful error message:
Finished with exit status 1
After some more attempts to figure it out (trawling mailings lists, pestering friends, sending out the bloodhounds) I give up and contact the developers. I get a reply, yay! The short story is the dev wanted to know what the logfile said. I'd already said there was nothing in the logfile...
Read the rest of the story here.
Solid state disks (SSDs) made a splash in consumer technology, and now the technology has its eyes on the enterprise storage market. Download this eBook to see what SSDs can do for your infrastructure and review the pros and cons of this potentially game-changing storage technology.
- 1Linux Top 3: GNOME 3.12 and New Betas for Ubuntu 14.04 and OpenMandriva Lx 2014.0
- 2Linux Top 3: Linus Lashes out, Linux 3.14 Gets PIE and Ubuntu One is Done.
- 3Linux Top 3: Ubuntu 14.04, Debian Gives Squeeze More Life and Red Hat Goes Atomic
- 4Linux Top 3: RHEL 6.5, Debian 7.2 and EOL for Linux 3.0.x
- 5Linux Top 3: CoreOS, Oracle Enterprise Linux 7 and Ubuntu 14.10