Linux Bug #1: Bad Documentation
Finished with exit status 1The Internet and Google enable laziness in FOSS development because they make it too easy to abdicate the job of proper documentation to "The community." Telling users and potential contributors to use Google, mailing lists, and forums is not documentation. It's a way to guarantee having fewer users, unhappy users, and fewer contributors.
Let me share with you how I spent much of the past week. (Lately I've been spending a lot of time wrestling with application problems; this is just one example.) A certain application that I use every day was failing on one command and returning this fine unhelpful error message:
Finished with exit status 1
After some more attempts to figure it out (trawling mailings lists, pestering friends, sending out the bloodhounds) I give up and contact the developers. I get a reply, yay! The short story is the dev wanted to know what the logfile said. I'd already said there was nothing in the logfile...
Read the rest of the story here.
- 1Linux Top 3: Alpine Linux 3.4, deepin 15.2 and Linux Lite 3.0
- 2Linux 4.7 Set to Boost Live Patching, Security and Power Management
- 3Linux 4.6 Charred Weasel adds USB 3.1 Support
- 4Linux Top 3: OpenIndiana 2016.04, Ubuntu 16.04 and Debian's New Leader
- 5Linux Top 3: KaOS 2016.04, TurnKey 14.1 and pfSense 2.3