Preview: Netscape 6, Preview Release 2 - page 2
Strengths and Weaknesses
It arrives in a standard tarball that unzips into a directory labelled 'netscape-installer'. By running the script within that directory (named, unsurprisingly, 'netscape-installer') the user can launch a graphical installation tool. The tool offers the usual (for the Windows world) "Typical/Custom/Full" options for installation. Users may choose to install the browser on its own, or include support for AOL Instant Messenger, Japanese language support, Full Circle crash reporting software, the mail and news clients, and the spell checker. The installer is, by the way, GTK-based.
Once those options are selected, the program installs the required
components in the target directory and quietly, very quietly, exits. Changing
to the target directory (
/usr/local/netscape, by default) and typing
./netscape, which sets some environmental variables and launches the program.
We installed it on a Duron 650 with 160 MB of RAM running Debian 2.2 (Frozen/Potato) with all updates, and ran it under Helix Code GNOME 1.2 with the Sawfish window manager.
Solid state disks (SSDs) made a splash in consumer technology, and now the technology has its eyes on the enterprise storage market. Download this eBook to see what SSDs can do for your infrastructure and review the pros and cons of this potentially game-changing storage technology.
- 1Linux Top 3: GNOME 3.12 and New Betas for Ubuntu 14.04 and OpenMandriva Lx 2014.0
- 2Linux Top 3: Linus Lashes out, Linux 3.14 Gets PIE and Ubuntu One is Done.
- 3Linux Top 3: Ubuntu 14.04, Debian Gives Squeeze More Life and Red Hat Goes Atomic
- 4Linux Top 3: CoreOS, Oracle Enterprise Linux 7 and Ubuntu 14.10
- 5Linux Top 3: Knoppix 7.3, Slacko Puppy 5.7 and PC-BSD 10.0.1