Packages and Package Managers - page 2
FTP and Web SitesThere are many Internet sites that carry Linux software. They do not charge for downloads or require you as a user to make uploads in exchange.
Three types of organizations run these sites:
CD-ROM DistributionsThere are also CD-ROMs available with large sets of programs. The better ones are produced by groups interested in a particular program or by distribution makers. An example is the POVray CD for 3D graphics. There are also several sets of CDs available which aim to be comprehensive, and hold a tremendous amount of software on 10 volumes or more. These are cheap by volume. However, unless you have some expertise, they can be a waste of time as they are sometimes not well organized.
Solid state disks (SSDs) made a splash in consumer technology, and now the technology has its eyes on the enterprise storage market. Download this eBook to see what SSDs can do for your infrastructure and review the pros and cons of this potentially game-changing storage technology.
- 1Linux Top 3: CoreOS, Oracle Enterprise Linux 7 and Ubuntu 14.10
- 2Linux Top 3: Debian Dumps SPARC, Ubuntu Takes Over Linux 3.13 and the Core Infrastructure Initiative
- 3Linux Top 3: Fedora, Ubuntu and Gluster Lose Community Leaders
- 4Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Finally Hits the Big Time
- 5Linux Top 3: Tails 1.0, OpenMandriva Lx 2014.0 and Debian 7.5