Gordano Messaging Suite: Early, Current Support for Linux Platform
And Linus Just Wanted to Make a Better Minux...It's sometimes interesting to see how things turn out. Many's the time when the original plans made by businesses turn into something completely different and unexpected.
Such was the case for a small UK software sales firm known as Internet Shopper, Ltd., which was founded back in 1994. Internet Shopper was to be an online sales company. But somewhere along the way, the company, which now operates as Gordano, Ltd., became one of the premier Internet messaging firms on the planet.
Initially, Dorricott attempted to get his new messaging server up and running on UNIX, but was stymied to do so. So, "we had to shift to NT," Dorricott said.
Curiously, some of the company's clientele began to take note of Internet Shopper's internal messaging server and began to inquire about obtaining it for themselves. Thus NTMail was born--a birth that heralded great success for the British company.
If you're wondering what any of this has to do with Linux, you may be surprised to learn that the company that got it start with a Windows NT product is now shifting more and more to Linux and UNIX-based platforms. When it ported it NTMail product to Linux in 1998, Gordano became one of the earliest commercial software vendors for the free operating systems that was just barely on the horizon for most propriatary software developers.
- Skip Ahead
- 1. And Linus Just Wanted to Make a Better Minux...
- 2. And Linus Just Wanted to Make a Better Minux...
- 3. And Linus Just Wanted to Make a Better Minux...
- 4. And Linus Just Wanted to Make a Better Minux...
Solid state disks (SSDs) made a splash in consumer technology, and now the technology has its eyes on the enterprise storage market. Download this eBook to see what SSDs can do for your infrastructure and review the pros and cons of this potentially game-changing storage technology.
- 1Linux Top 3: Alienware, KDE and Ubuntu 13.04
- 2Linux Top 3: Linux Mint Olivia, Fedora 19's Cat and Ubuntu's Mission Accomplished Moment
- 3GNOME 3.8 Debuts New Open Source Linux Desktop
- 4Linux Top 3: Linux 3.10 Goes Long, Linux 3.11 Advances as LXDE Merges
- 5Linux Top 3: Ubuntu Kaylin, Debian Wheezy and Linux Mint