WiFi PDA Meets Linux--Part 1 - page 5
In this article, we've looked at putting a WiFi enabled iPAQ on a LAN, browsing the Web and connecting to a Samba server. Other PDAs will follow similar processes.
Here's a list of things you can try, in preparation for some of the upcoming PDA/Linux stories, now that you have basic WiFi functionality working.
- Copy an OpenOffice.org Writer file (how about your resume?) to the iPAQ and bring it up in Pocket Word. You'll need to save it in .doc format, so Pocket Word can read it.
- Copy an OpenOffice.org Calc file to the iPAQ and look at it in Pocket Excel.
- Experiment with the the iPAQ's Internet Explorer View -> Layout -> One Column, Desktop settings, to see how it renders different Web pages.
- Download a couple of files from the Web into the iPAQ data store directory, to see how that functions.
As always, I welcome and encourage comments from readers. In the spirit of open source, be sure to add your WiFi PDA/Linux experiences into the talk backs, so others can benefit too.Rob Reilly is a consultant, writer, and commentator who advises clients on business & technology projects. His Linux, personal branding, and public speaking skills-related articles regularly appear in various high-end Linux and business media outlets. Send him a note or visit his Web site at http://home.earthlink.net/~robreilly.
Solid state disks (SSDs) made a splash in consumer technology, and now the technology has its eyes on the enterprise storage market. Download this eBook to see what SSDs can do for your infrastructure and review the pros and cons of this potentially game-changing storage technology.
- 1Linux Top 3: GNOME 3.12 and New Betas for Ubuntu 14.04 and OpenMandriva Lx 2014.0
- 2Linux Top 3: Linus Lashes out, Linux 3.14 Gets PIE and Ubuntu One is Done.
- 3Linux Top 3: Ubuntu 14.04, Debian Gives Squeeze More Life and Red Hat Goes Atomic
- 4Linux Top 3: CoreOS, Oracle Enterprise Linux 7 and Ubuntu 14.10
- 5Linux Top 3: Debian Dumps SPARC, Ubuntu Takes Over Linux 3.13 and the Core Infrastructure Initiative