Managing Open Source Usage in Off-Shore, Outsourced Development: Best Practices - page 4
The Opportunities and Challenges of Open Source Software
In order to verify the vendor's usage of open source in the project, it's important to perform some sort of audit. These audits can be performed in a variety of ways. At a minimum you should assign a Software Architect, Technical Manager or a Consultant to review their code base and list any usage of open source they find. This person should also validate the "Statement of Open Source Usage" provided by the vendor.
There is also a new breed of software applications becoming available that can "analyze" a code base and look for open source code that has been copied directly into the code base being delivered. Given the terms of some of the more restrictive open source licenses currently in use, code copied directly into your code base can expose you to some of the most challenging and restrictive terms and obligations of these licenses. If the project is an important one, then this type of analysis is probably warranted.
- Skip Ahead
- 1. The Opportunities and Challenges of Open Source Software
- 2. The Opportunities and Challenges of Open Source Software
- 3. The Opportunities and Challenges of Open Source Software
- 4. The Opportunities and Challenges of Open Source Software
- 5. The Opportunities and Challenges of Open Source Software
Solid state disks (SSDs) made a splash in consumer technology, and now the technology has its eyes on the enterprise storage market. Download this eBook to see what SSDs can do for your infrastructure and review the pros and cons of this potentially game-changing storage technology.
- 1Linux Top 3: GNOME 3.12 and New Betas for Ubuntu 14.04 and OpenMandriva Lx 2014.0
- 2Linux Top 3: Linus Lashes out, Linux 3.14 Gets PIE and Ubuntu One is Done.
- 3Linux Top 3: Ubuntu 14.04, Debian Gives Squeeze More Life and Red Hat Goes Atomic
- 4Linux Top 3: CoreOS, Oracle Enterprise Linux 7 and Ubuntu 14.10
- 5Linux Top 3: Debian Gives Up on Upstart, Ubuntu and Linux Kernel Updates