Getting the Real Facts: How Industry Analyst Reports Can Trick Readers - page 2
Start from the Beginning
Some studies take a premise, form it into a question, then report on how the surveyed organizations responded. That's a good idea, but only if the assumptions make sense for the real world. Your first task while reading the study is to assess the usefulness of the premise. If it's not realistic for your situation, then discount the study.
One of the surveys referenced by Microsoft, for example, asked participants about the wholesale replacement of Windows systems with Linux. But no one indiscriminately replaces one technology with another one wholesale. It was an unrealistic question that produced a meaningless and misleading result.
Lesson: abstract assumptions do not translate well to the real world.
Solid state disks (SSDs) made a splash in consumer technology, and now the technology has its eyes on the enterprise storage market. Download this eBook to see what SSDs can do for your infrastructure and review the pros and cons of this potentially game-changing storage technology.
- 1Linux Top 3: GNOME 3.12 and New Betas for Ubuntu 14.04 and OpenMandriva Lx 2014.0
- 2Linux Top 3: Linus Lashes out, Linux 3.14 Gets PIE and Ubuntu One is Done.
- 3Linux Top 3: Ubuntu 14.04, Debian Gives Squeeze More Life and Red Hat Goes Atomic
- 4Linux Top 3: CoreOS, Oracle Enterprise Linux 7 and Ubuntu 14.10
- 5Linux Top 3: Debian Dumps SPARC, Ubuntu Takes Over Linux 3.13 and the Core Infrastructure Initiative