Commercial Linux Support Showdown
Can't Buy Me Love
The idea of fixed yearly support costs is an appealing one. Knowing exactly what your desktop and server support costs will be for the coming year makes it much simpler to create a budget. Purchase a three-year subscription and enjoy a 10 percent discount on the price. Imagine accurately planning a three-year budget -- that's the stuff of bean-counters' dreams!
You know you've spent your support dollars wisely when you hear a calm voice on the other end of your frantic support call say, "Thank you for calling (Vendor) support, I'm here to help." There's nothing quite like personalized support -- you'll experience no fumbles, no stumbles and no million questions about which operating system you have, which kernel you're running or why you picked this distribution over another. Your information pops up on the support person's screen and your incident enters the queue.
Now that you know why you want commercial vendor support, let's look at who delivers it and how much it costs. Please see the Support Pricing Matrix table at the end of this article for a cross-vendor comparison of support options. All of this information is also publicly available on the vendor web sites. Prices shown are "street prices" per physical machine and do not take volume or corporate discounts into account.
Solid state disks (SSDs) made a splash in consumer technology, and now the technology has its eyes on the enterprise storage market. Download this eBook to see what SSDs can do for your infrastructure and review the pros and cons of this potentially game-changing storage technology.
- 1Linux Top 3: GNOME 3.12 and New Betas for Ubuntu 14.04 and OpenMandriva Lx 2014.0
- 2Linux Top 3: Linus Lashes out, Linux 3.14 Gets PIE and Ubuntu One is Done.
- 3Linux Top 3: Ubuntu 14.04, Debian Gives Squeeze More Life and Red Hat Goes Atomic
- 4Linux Top 3: CoreOS, Oracle Enterprise Linux 7 and Ubuntu 14.10
- 5Linux Top 3: Debian Dumps SPARC, Ubuntu Takes Over Linux 3.13 and the Core Infrastructure Initiative