Edubuntu is Ubuntu for the Classroom - page 2
Edubuntu for the Classroom
Finally, you can click around and play with the Edubuntu variant and applications. You'll find the following preinstalled applications over what the normal Ubuntu installation offers, under Education on the main Applications menu:
- Gcompris Educational Suite provides many different puzzles and games for ages 2 through 10.
- Gcompris Administration provides a way to control and track the progress of students using the Gcomris suite.
- KAlgebra helps solve expressions and plotting problems.
- KBruch is a feature-rich quiz program for practicing fractions.
- Kig is for for interactive geometry.
- KmPlot is a function plotter.
- KTouch is a touch typing tutor and trainer with the ability to create custom lessons.
- KTurtle is a programing tool for the TurtleScript language.
- KWordQuiz is a quizing program to create custom flashcards and quizzes.
- Marble serves as a virtual globe and atlas of the World's countries.
- Parley is a quizzing program specifically designed for learning new languages.
- Step helps you simulate physics experiments.
- Tux Paint is a simple paint program like Microsoft Paint in Windows.
- Tux Typing is a typing tutor and gaming program.
KStars is a planetarium, giving you a simulated view of stars, planets, comets, asteroids, and other space objects.
Kalzium offers a Periodic Table and related information about the elements.
You'll see more Games:
- Atomix is a molecular puzzle game.
- Kanagram gives you anagrams, scrambled words to solve.
- KHangMan is a hangman game with a variety of categories.
- Tux Math is a interactive math training game.
- Potato Guy gives youngsters a chance to dress up the Potato Guy.
Additional Graphics applications will also appear:
- Dia Diagram Editor lets you create and edit diagrams.
- GNU Paint replaces the Krita paint program from the regular Ubuntu.
- Inkspace Vector Graphics replaces Karbon14 from the regular Ubuntu.
- QcaD is a professional computer aid drawing program.
- Scribus is a page layout and publisher program.
- Xaos helps you create, manipulate, and inspect fractal shapes.
Plus you'll find two additional Internet applications:
- Gobby Collaborative is a text editor built for live group editing.
- Liferea Feed Reader is a desktop news aggregator for online news feeds.
In addition to the list of applications, you'll also find a new tool under the the System > Administration menu, called the Lockdown Editor. It offers control over a couple of tasks that you might want to prevent users from accessing.
Eric Geier is a Freelance Tech Writer. He has authored many networking and computing books for brands like For Dummies and Cisco Press. He's also the Founder and CEO of NoWiresSecurity, which helps businesses easily protect their Wi-Fi network.
- 1Linux Top 3: Alpine Linux 3.4, deepin 15.2 and Linux Lite 3.0
- 2Linux 4.7 Set to Boost Live Patching, Security and Power Management
- 3Linux 4.6 Charred Weasel adds USB 3.1 Support
- 4Linux Top 3: OpenIndiana 2016.04, Ubuntu 16.04 and Debian's New Leader
- 5Linux Top 3: KaOS 2016.04, TurnKey 14.1 and pfSense 2.3