Novell Linux Appliances Boost Ingres over MySQL - page 2
Templating Speeds Custom Appliance Creation
While Ingres was not directly part of SUSE Studio prior to the partnership announcement, rival open source database MySQL has been available since day one.
"The difference between adding a database to your appliance which is what we do with MySQL and using a template that has already been created and is guaranteed to work, really comes down to the starting point," Richards said. "You're starting with a template with Ingress that is essentially a pre-created appliance, so if you did nothing else you'd basically have an Ingress database appliance."
Richards did not specifically comment on whether there was a specific revenue sharing agreement between Novell and Ingres, however he did note that he expects both vendors to benefit. In his view, Ingres users will now find it easier to use SUSE Studio which will help to expand adoption of the Novell appliance effort.
- Skip Ahead
- 1. Templating Speeds Custom Appliance Creation
- 2. Templating Speeds Custom Appliance Creation
Solid state disks (SSDs) made a splash in consumer technology, and now the technology has its eyes on the enterprise storage market. Download this eBook to see what SSDs can do for your infrastructure and review the pros and cons of this potentially game-changing storage technology.
- 1Linux Top 3: Alienware, KDE and Ubuntu 13.04
- 2Linux Top 3: Linux Mint Olivia, Fedora 19's Cat and Ubuntu's Mission Accomplished Moment
- 3GNOME 3.8 Debuts New Open Source Linux Desktop
- 4Linux Top 3: Linux 3.10 Goes Long, Linux 3.11 Advances as LXDE Merges
- 5Linux Top 3: Ubuntu Kaylin, Debian Wheezy and Linux Mint