Facebook is Linux-Powered
Half a Billion Linux-Powered Facebook Users
Facebook connects its 500 million users using an array of open source software to enable social networking as well as data intelligence. Facebook's open source Web serving infrastructure has a lot more than just the traditional LAMP (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP) stack behind it.
At the language level of the stack, Recordan noted that Facebook is using PHP by way of its own HipHop PHP runtime project. Facebook officially announced HipHop earlier this year as a way to speed up PHP operations, improve efficiency and decrease CPU utilization. ,P> At the database tier, Recordan said Facebook primarily stores user data in...
Read the rest of this Facebook LAMP story at Developer.com
Solid state disks (SSDs) made a splash in consumer technology, and now the technology has its eyes on the enterprise storage market. Download this eBook to see what SSDs can do for your infrastructure and review the pros and cons of this potentially game-changing storage technology.
- 1Linux Top 3: CoreOS, Oracle Enterprise Linux 7 and Ubuntu 14.10
- 2Linux Top 3: Debian Dumps SPARC, Ubuntu Takes Over Linux 3.13 and the Core Infrastructure Initiative
- 3Linux Top 3: Fedora, Ubuntu and Gluster Lose Community Leaders
- 4Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Finally Hits the Big Time
- 5Linux Top 3: Tails 1.0, OpenMandriva Lx 2014.0 and Debian 7.5