How Ubuntu is Made - page 2
Cat Herding with Launchpad
Ubuntu developers don't operate in a vacuum and are part of the broader upstream open source ecosystem. As a result, patches and contributions are made upstream by Zimmerman's team in an ongoing process. Sometimes, Ubuntu will have patches that have not yet been merged upstream.
Ubuntu also relies heavily on its relationship with the Debian Linux distribution, and Zimmerman noted that the vast majority of Ubuntu patches submitted to Debian are accepted. He added that with other upstream projects, where Ubuntu doesn't do as much work, there can be challenges.
"It's tough since we have to work across so many different projects with Ubuntu," Zimmerman said. "We can't have a close personal relationship with everyone in the open source community, but at the same time, we've got to be able to work together."
Solid state disks (SSDs) made a splash in consumer technology, and now the technology has its eyes on the enterprise storage market. Download this eBook to see what SSDs can do for your infrastructure and review the pros and cons of this potentially game-changing storage technology.
- 1Linux Top 3: Linus Lashes out, Linux 3.14 Gets PIE and Ubuntu One is Done.
- 2Linux Top 3: Ubuntu 14.04, Debian Gives Squeeze More Life and Red Hat Goes Atomic
- 3Linux Top 3: CoreOS, Oracle Enterprise Linux 7 and Ubuntu 14.10
- 4Linux Top 3: Debian Dumps SPARC, Ubuntu Takes Over Linux 3.13 and the Core Infrastructure Initiative
- 5Linux Top 3: Fedora, Ubuntu and Gluster Lose Community Leaders