Volution: Promising Solution, GUI Not Quite There Yet - page 2
A Volution Overview
Volution Messaging Server 1.0 is a commercial product, but there is an evaluation version available for download from Caldera's web site (www.caldera.com). Follow the Products link to Volution, then Volution Messaging Server. You can also download the ISO images for Caldera OpenLinux Server 3.1 to burn and install on your mail server, or of course purchase the distribution along with its documentation and sixty days of support ($249).
If you decide to go for the full commercial version, you can purchase the software through Caldera's web site, or through one of their software partners--see the web site for the partner listing.
No one's going to invest in a commercial product when there are perfectly good free ones available unless the advantages of the commercial version balance out the cost, so let's take a look at what Volution Messaging Server 1.0 does that our old friends Sendmail and Qmail (two of the more popular free mail servers out there) don't. Of course the biggest perk is this: a GUI front end! Not just for you, the administrator, but also for the users.
A number of features are built in to this program:
- Mail is kept in a Cyrus database rather than in ASCII files, adding a layer of email privacy.
- OpenSSL-enabled out of the box
- OpenLDAP-enabled out of the box
- Postfix MTA (Mail Transport Agent) included
- Integrates with other Caldera products, such as Volution Manager
- Handy Outlook client setup tool
- Support for Microsoft Outlook's busy/free calendar tool for checking meeting availabilities
- Quick integration with virus scanning software
- Basic spam-protection functionality