Distribution Watch: Gentoo Linux 1.2: Getting Better Every Day - page 5
Back in the Saddle with Gentoo
Gentoo Linux 1.2 still does not get along with my lab machine. It does get along with my main Linux box, and gets farther into the installation on the lab box than 1.1a ever did. I'll be sending some more information to the Gentoo folks so maybe next time my lab box can have its very own Gentoo Linux installation. For now it will have to be content with a certain other distribution's beta release.
Gentoo is still quite a young distribution, and it already has quite a following. I find that I do hope for the sakes of the lazy among us, that some of the installation process will be automated in the future. If not, well, a fussy installation process is a small price to pay for one of the fastest Linux distributions out there.
Dee-Ann LeBlanc has written over 10 computer books, over forty articles, taught classes, and more, mostly involving the Linux operating system and its programs. Her latest book is Linux Routing from New Riders. You can reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org, or find out more at http://www.Dee-AnnLeBlanc.com/.
Solid state disks (SSDs) made a splash in consumer technology, and now the technology has its eyes on the enterprise storage market. Download this eBook to see what SSDs can do for your infrastructure and review the pros and cons of this potentially game-changing storage technology.
- 1Linux Top 3: GNOME 3.12 and New Betas for Ubuntu 14.04 and OpenMandriva Lx 2014.0
- 2Linux Top 3: Linus Lashes out, Linux 3.14 Gets PIE and Ubuntu One is Done.
- 3Linux Top 3: Ubuntu 14.04, Debian Gives Squeeze More Life and Red Hat Goes Atomic
- 4Linux Top 3: CoreOS, Oracle Enterprise Linux 7 and Ubuntu 14.10
- 5Linux Top 3: Linux from Scratch, Ubuntu 14.01 Beta and Arch Updates