Search the Web, vi Style
In the Beginning...
Lunch started out innocently enough for Snap.com colleagues Brad Haugaard, Joe Chen, Ken Yeh. While discussing Snap's very visually oriented search engine, they collectively wondered, "What about people who don't really care about pictures?"
Somebody said, "How about 'visearch'? We could combine a vi editor with a search engine."
The three mused that you could move up and down with the "j" and "k" keys. You might also delete bad listings with "dd" or insert comments into the listing with an "i".
With suggestions from Haugaard and Yeh, Chen programmed a working system over the next few weeks. Chen and Yeh are both software engineers, while Haugaard is a customer service manager.
What started out as a joke was thus born visearch.
Solid state disks (SSDs) made a splash in consumer technology, and now the technology has its eyes on the enterprise storage market. Download this eBook to see what SSDs can do for your infrastructure and review the pros and cons of this potentially game-changing storage technology.
- 1Linux Top 3: CoreOS, Oracle Enterprise Linux 7 and Ubuntu 14.10
- 2Linux Top 3: Debian Dumps SPARC, Ubuntu Takes Over Linux 3.13 and the Core Infrastructure Initiative
- 3Linux Top 3: Fedora, Ubuntu and Gluster Lose Community Leaders
- 4Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Finally Hits the Big Time
- 5Linux Top 3: Tails 1.0, OpenMandriva Lx 2014.0 and Debian 7.5