Protecting Data with Encrypted Linux Partitions Part 2 - page 2
Adding Your Own Back Door
With these commands it doesn't matter if your
cryptsetup-luks device is open or closed.
What if you can't remember if a partition is a
# cryptsetup isLuks /dev/sda1 /dev/sda1 is not a LUKS partition
If it is a LUKS partition, it will exit silently. Yes, a positive confirmation would be nice, but that's the way it is.
You can see the entire LUKS header with this command:
# cryptsetup luksDump /dev/sda2 LUKS header information for /dev/sda2 Version: 1 Cipher name: aes Cipher mode: cbc-plain Hash spec: sha1 Payload offset: 1032 MK bits: 128 MK digest: 40 cc 8c ff b4 0d f2 ... MK salt: 5e 8f 35 dd 4d 1a 8c ... cb 70 da a7 b8 06 11 ... MK iterations: 10 UUID: 1c390791-bd8a-4655-b722-6d0bcbbdf547 Key Slot 0: ENABLED Iterations: 168940 Salt: 88 e9 98 ... 65 5f c9 ... Key material offset: 8 AF stripes: 4000 Key Slot 1: ENABLED Iterations: 166133 Salt: b7 77 84 ... 66 91 93 ... Key material offset: 136 AF stripes: 4000 Key Slot 2: ENABLED Iterations: 166970 Salt: cf 5c 82 ... d9 9b c5 ... Key material offset: 264 AF stripes: 4000 Key Slot 3: DISABLED Key Slot 4: DISABLED Key Slot 5: DISABLED Key Slot 6: DISABLED Key Slot 7: DISABLED
This shows that there are three passwords set, the device UUID, the type of encryption used, and other details.
Solid state disks (SSDs) made a splash in consumer technology, and now the technology has its eyes on the enterprise storage market. Download this eBook to see what SSDs can do for your infrastructure and review the pros and cons of this potentially game-changing storage technology.
- 1Linux Top 3: GNOME 3.12 and New Betas for Ubuntu 14.04 and OpenMandriva Lx 2014.0
- 2Linux Top 3: Linus Lashes out, Linux 3.14 Gets PIE and Ubuntu One is Done.
- 3Linux Top 3: Ubuntu 14.04, Debian Gives Squeeze More Life and Red Hat Goes Atomic
- 4Linux Top 3: CoreOS, Oracle Enterprise Linux 7 and Ubuntu 14.10
- 5Linux Top 3: Debian Dumps SPARC, Ubuntu Takes Over Linux 3.13 and the Core Infrastructure Initiative