Fedora 9 Falls A Little Short - page 4
Just as I thought I was getting comfortable with Fedora there was a serious system crash. I had Firefox, Deluge, and Pidgin open at the time, which is nothing intensive for a powerful system like this but the screen froze and I found I couldn't revive the system.
I tried CTRL+ALT+F2 to switch run levels and perhaps recover things from a terminal but the system was completely unresponsive. I couldn't even reset the system with CTRL+ALT+DEL and I had to power it off manually.
When I tried to reboot the system it would get to a certain point and then the whole screen would just flash on and off with no sign of stopping. I tried a few times to make it work and even tried recovering the system with the Fedora DVD to no avail.
In the end I had no option but to completely reinstall from scratch. I'm not sure what caused this but I suspect it was the Nvidia driver I tried to install. I rebuilt the system up the same point as before bit left the video drivers alone, hoping this would prevent a similar crash.
- 1Linux Top 3: Fedora 24, Peppermint 7 and Solus 1.2
- 2Linux Top 3: Alpine Linux 3.4, deepin 15.2 and Linux Lite 3.0
- 3Linux 4.7 Set to Boost Live Patching, Security and Power Management
- 4Linux 4.6 Charred Weasel adds USB 3.1 Support
- 5Linux Top 3: OpenIndiana 2016.04, Ubuntu 16.04 and Debian's New Leader