Power down from software
By compiling in APM to the kernel
If you have a modern ATX motherboard with APM power support compiled in, then "halt" will powerdown the system.
The Kernel compile options for APM under 2,2,x are found in "General Setup" "Advanced Power Management BIOS support".
After you have rebooted into the new kernel or loaded the
modules, then the
halt command or
shutdown now -h will result in the machine turning itself off.
Solid state disks (SSDs) made a splash in consumer technology, and now the technology has its eyes on the enterprise storage market. Download this eBook to see what SSDs can do for your infrastructure and review the pros and cons of this potentially game-changing storage technology.
- 1Linux Top 3: Linux Mint Olivia, Fedora 19's Cat and Ubuntu's Mission Accomplished Moment
- 2Linux Top 3: Linux 3.10 Goes Long, Linux 3.11 Advances as LXDE Merges
- 3Why Linux is Super (Computing)
- 4Linux Top 3: GNOME 3.12 and New Betas for Ubuntu 14.04 and OpenMandriva Lx 2014.0
- 5Linux 3.10 Improves Multi-tasking and SSD Caching