Knowledge is Power!
^foo^bar was also new to me: This runs the previous command but with bar replacing foo. This won't always be faster than just recalling the command and editing it, but it's a useful trick.
Possibly more useful is that the default argument is empty. So if you typo a command with an extra letter, you can rerun it with this. For example, ssh myxcomputer, recalled by ^x, would run as ssh mycomputer. Note that it changes only the first occurrence, so it can also be useful in fixing doubled-up letter typos.
There's plenty more useful stuff at the web site. It's well worth checking out and contributing to. You can even get new additions sent to you via Twitter.
Article courtesy of Serverwatch
- 1Linux Top 3: Fedora 24, Peppermint 7 and Solus 1.2
- 2Linux Top 3: Alpine Linux 3.4, deepin 15.2 and Linux Lite 3.0
- 3Linux 4.7 Set to Boost Live Patching, Security and Power Management
- 4Linux 4.6 Charred Weasel adds USB 3.1 Support
- 5Linux Top 3: OpenIndiana 2016.04, Ubuntu 16.04 and Debian's New Leader