Using Apache with Suexec on Linux
Executing CGI Scripts as Other UsersThe Apache Web server, like most if not all of the others in common use today, lets you execute arbitrarily complex operations through the use of CGI scripts. These can involve database lookups, system administration functions, real-time control of machinery, online payments, or almost anything else you can think of.
Ordinarily, all of these things occur in the context of the user
running the Apache server itself (typically
on Linux systems). This is fine when you're using a system that
is owned and used by a single entity...but what if you're an
ISP with multiple companies being hosted on your system? Or an
educational institution with faculty who want to be able to
execute their own scripts? Either everything has to be accessible
to the Apache
nobody user, or you have to run
multiple instances of Apache on multiple ports and IP addresses,
one of each per user,
with the concomitant confusion of configuration files.
rootand only changes to
suexec (pronounced 'SUE-ex-Ek')
tool helps make this possible. It's found in the
src/support/ directory under your Apache source tree.
Assumptions in This Article
For the rest of this article, I'm going to make the following assumptions:
- your Apache source tree starts at
- your Apache ServerRoot is
- your Apache DocumentRoot is
- the username under which Apache runs (the value of the
Userdirective in your
All of the
cd and other shell commands in this article
that refer to directories use these locations.
- Skip Ahead
- 1. Executing CGI Scripts as Other Users
- 2. Executing CGI Scripts as Other Users
- 3. Executing CGI Scripts as Other Users
- 4. Executing CGI Scripts as Other Users
- 5. Executing CGI Scripts as Other Users
- 6. Executing CGI Scripts as Other Users
- 7. Executing CGI Scripts as Other Users
- 8. Executing CGI Scripts as Other Users
Sponsored by BlackBerry
BlackBerry® Enterprise Server Express enables businesses of any size to quickly and easily get started with the BlackBerry solution. It provides advanced BlackBerry smartphone features with no additional software or user license fees, and works with any Internet-enabled BlackBerry data plan or a BlackBerry enterprise data plan. Download now!