Setting Up Your Own Diskless Workstations with LTSP - page 3
The Whys and Wherefores of LTSP
First of all, visit Rom-o-matic and create a boot program for your network cards. On this site, you can get this program in two variants: for hard-coding into the network card for diskette booting. The second variant can be used for debugging or checking procedures.
Write the image (about 32kb) onto a diskette (don't forget to insert it!) and type:
dd if=eb-5.0.7-netcard.lzdsk of=/dev/fd0
where eb-5.0.7-netcard.lzdsk is the file downloaded from the Rom-o-matic site.
Now the bootable diskette is ready. Boot from it on the workstation and after the boot process is finished X Window will appear ready to login.
Solid state disks (SSDs) made a splash in consumer technology, and now the technology has its eyes on the enterprise storage market. Download this eBook to see what SSDs can do for your infrastructure and review the pros and cons of this potentially game-changing storage technology.
- 1Linux Top 3: GNOME 3.12 and New Betas for Ubuntu 14.04 and OpenMandriva Lx 2014.0
- 2Linux Top 3: Linus Lashes out, Linux 3.14 Gets PIE and Ubuntu One is Done.
- 3Linux Top 3: Ubuntu 14.04, Debian Gives Squeeze More Life and Red Hat Goes Atomic
- 4Linux Top 3: CoreOS, Oracle Enterprise Linux 7 and Ubuntu 14.10
- 5Linux Top 3: Knoppix 7.3, Slacko Puppy 5.7 and PC-BSD 10.0.1