Setting Up Your Own Diskless Workstations with LTSP - page 6
The Whys and Wherefores of LTSP
In this article we have not discussed a big picture of LTSP software abilities, such as local application execution, text mode, print to local printer, working with local devices (floppy, disks), NIS, and many others. This is more in the scope of the excellent LTSP documentation that's out there today.
But even from this short article you will understand that diskless workstations (X-terminals) allow us to economize on hardware, they are generally safer, and are easier to manage from a system administrator's point of view.
Once IT managers will pay for some of the time to create network with diskless workstations, they will ultimately save a good chunk of change for their companies.
- 1Linux Top 3: Fedora 24, Peppermint 7 and Solus 1.2
- 2Linux Top 3: Alpine Linux 3.4, deepin 15.2 and Linux Lite 3.0
- 3Linux 4.7 Set to Boost Live Patching, Security and Power Management
- 4Linux 4.6 Charred Weasel adds USB 3.1 Support
- 5Linux Top 3: OpenIndiana 2016.04, Ubuntu 16.04 and Debian's New Leader