Setting Up Your Own Diskless Workstations with LTSP - page 6
The Whys and Wherefores of LTSP
In this article we have not discussed a big picture of LTSP software abilities, such as local application execution, text mode, print to local printer, working with local devices (floppy, disks), NIS, and many others. This is more in the scope of the excellent LTSP documentation that's out there today.
But even from this short article you will understand that diskless workstations (X-terminals) allow us to economize on hardware, they are generally safer, and are easier to manage from a system administrator's point of view.
Once IT managers will pay for some of the time to create network with diskless workstations, they will ultimately save a good chunk of change for their companies.
Solid state disks (SSDs) made a splash in consumer technology, and now the technology has its eyes on the enterprise storage market. Download this eBook to see what SSDs can do for your infrastructure and review the pros and cons of this potentially game-changing storage technology.
- 1Linux Top 3: GNOME 3.12 and New Betas for Ubuntu 14.04 and OpenMandriva Lx 2014.0
- 2Linux Top 3: Linux 3.10 Goes Long, Linux 3.11 Advances as LXDE Merges
- 3Linux Top 3: Linus Lashes out, Linux 3.14 Gets PIE and Ubuntu One is Done.
- 4Why Linux is Super (Computing)
- 5Linux Top 3: Ubuntu 14.04, Debian Gives Squeeze More Life and Red Hat Goes Atomic