Setting Up Your Own Diskless Workstations with LTSP - page 6
The Whys and Wherefores of LTSP
In this article we have not discussed a big picture of LTSP software abilities, such as local application execution, text mode, print to local printer, working with local devices (floppy, disks), NIS, and many others. This is more in the scope of the excellent LTSP documentation that's out there today.
But even from this short article you will understand that diskless workstations (X-terminals) allow us to economize on hardware, they are generally safer, and are easier to manage from a system administrator's point of view.
Once IT managers will pay for some of the time to create network with diskless workstations, they will ultimately save a good chunk of change for their companies.
Solid state disks (SSDs) made a splash in consumer technology, and now the technology has its eyes on the enterprise storage market. Download this eBook to see what SSDs can do for your infrastructure and review the pros and cons of this potentially game-changing storage technology.
- 1Linux Top 3: GNOME 3.12 and New Betas for Ubuntu 14.04 and OpenMandriva Lx 2014.0
- 2Linux Top 3: Linus Lashes out, Linux 3.14 Gets PIE and Ubuntu One is Done.
- 3Linux Top 3: Ubuntu 14.04, Debian Gives Squeeze More Life and Red Hat Goes Atomic
- 4Linux Top 3: CoreOS, Oracle Enterprise Linux 7 and Ubuntu 14.10
- 5Linux Top 3: Linux from Scratch, Ubuntu 14.01 Beta and Arch Updates