Connecting to a Wireless LAN with Linux, Part 2 - page 4
Multiple profiles are created with the
redhat-config-network utility. Users can then easily switch profiles for different locations. When more than one profile exists, running
redhat-config-network opens first with the profile chooser.
On Debian, use the whereami utility.
If you run your laptop on battery a lot, you can save power by turning off the wireless adapter when you're not using it. For PCMCIA adapters, use the pcmcia-cs tools. These commands stop and restart the card without unloading the drivers:
# /sbin/cardctl suspend # /sbin/cardctl resume
These commands eject and activate the card after insertion:
# /sbin/cardctl eject # /sbin/cardctl insert
Check the card status:
$ /sbin/cardctl status
For PCI adapters use the old familiar
# /sbin/ifdown eth1 # /sbin/ifup eth1
Check the PCI adapter status:
Solid state disks (SSDs) made a splash in consumer technology, and now the technology has its eyes on the enterprise storage market. Download this eBook to see what SSDs can do for your infrastructure and review the pros and cons of this potentially game-changing storage technology.
- 1Linux Top 3: Linux Mint Olivia, Fedora 19's Cat and Ubuntu's Mission Accomplished Moment
- 2Linux Top 3: Linux 3.10 Goes Long, Linux 3.11 Advances as LXDE Merges
- 3Why Linux is Super (Computing)
- 4Linux Top 3: GNOME 3.12 and New Betas for Ubuntu 14.04 and OpenMandriva Lx 2014.0
- 5Linux 3.10 Improves Multi-tasking and SSD Caching