The Penguin's Practical Network Troubleshooting Guide - page 3
Start with Cable Testing
Destination Host Unreachablemeans that
pinggot as far as a router that is local to the remote host, but it cannot reach the remote host.
unknown host means you entered the wrong hostname, DNS is broken, or you are not connected to the network. Ping the IP to see if it's a DNS or connectivity problem.
ping's -Iflag to select a single interface:
# ping -I eth1 [IP or hostname]
- 1Linux Top 3: Network Security Toolkit, Untangle NG Firewall and IPFire
- 2Linux Top 3: Fedora 24, Peppermint 7 and Solus 1.2
- 3Linux Top 3: Alpine Linux 3.4, deepin 15.2 and Linux Lite 3.0
- 4Linux 4.7 Set to Boost Live Patching, Security and Power Management
- 5Linux 4.6 Charred Weasel adds USB 3.1 Support