Foil Wireless Poachers and Have Fun Doing It (Part 2) - page 2
Killing and Slaying
whowatch is usually a separate installation, so you might not have it when you need it. In that case, the venerable
finger command is included on virtually all Linux distributions by default, so you don't have to install it separately.
finger also displays a list of logged-in users; just run the
finger command without options to see them:
$ finger Login Name Tty Idle Login Time Office Office Phone carla carla *:0 Jan 15 11:22 pinball *tty2 5 Jan 15 15:02
Now use the
ps command to find pinball's PID (process ID) via her tty:
$ ps auwx |grep tty2 pinball 7748 0.0 0.5 5464 3056 tty2 S+ 15:02 0:00 -bash
kill -9 7748 to give Pinball the heave-ho.
ps is also found on every Linux, so if you find yourself on a desert island with no
whowatch you can still evict bad users.
- 1Linux Top 3: Fedora 24, Peppermint 7 and Solus 1.2
- 2Linux Top 3: Alpine Linux 3.4, deepin 15.2 and Linux Lite 3.0
- 3Linux 4.7 Set to Boost Live Patching, Security and Power Management
- 4Linux 4.6 Charred Weasel adds USB 3.1 Support
- 5Linux Top 3: OpenIndiana 2016.04, Ubuntu 16.04 and Debian's New Leader