OpenOffice.org Mail Merge and Labels - page 3
My Mail to Your MailMerging a contact list with a form letter, whether it's paper or email, is almost as easy if your data sources are already clean and tidy. They must be in a Base database, which we'll cover in more detail next week. Base supports a wide range of data sources, such as email address books, LDAP, MySQL and other databases, spreadsheets, and delimited text files. When you import new data you'll be required to map the database fields to their Base equivalents, and then save it as a Base file.
Base requires Java. Both Sun's Java Runtime Environment and java-gcj-compat work fine. Sun's JRE has a non-Free license, while java-gcj-compat is GPL. You can have more than one Java version on your system, and you need to tell OpenOffice which one to use. Go to Tools -> Options -> Java. It will find your installed JREs, so all you do is click a checkbox.
OpenOffice is smart enough to handle additional pages correctly; it won't copy the headings on every page. Put your letterhead in a header if you want it to appear on every page.
Come back next week to learn how to import and create contact databases in Base.
- 1Linux Top 3: Fedora 24, Peppermint 7 and Solus 1.2
- 2Linux Top 3: Alpine Linux 3.4, deepin 15.2 and Linux Lite 3.0
- 3Linux 4.7 Set to Boost Live Patching, Security and Power Management
- 4Linux 4.6 Charred Weasel adds USB 3.1 Support
- 5Linux Top 3: OpenIndiana 2016.04, Ubuntu 16.04 and Debian's New Leader