Managing Photos and Creating Albums With Picasa 3 - page 3
Scanning and Browsing Your CollectionWhether you want to craft a last-minute Christmas gift for a loved one or just have fun, Picasa includes a few cool ways you can showcase your best smiles:
- Piece together a collage: Picasa has a really neat collage feature. The final product can be set as your desktop background, printed as a poster, or posted on your website. To get started, select a folder or pictures and click Create > Picture Collage. The selected images are thrown up on the collage editor. The Clips tab lets you add and remove photos. The Settings tab is where all the magic is. There you can pick different layouts, picture borders, the background, and more. On the bottom of the collage workspace is two useful buttons. The Scramble Collage button moves the pictures around, keeping them in the same picture frame. The Shuffle Pictures button keeps the picture frames in place while switching around the actual photos; great if you want to change the collage but already have a nice layout. If you save the collage, you can return later to make edits by double clicking it in the Projects\Collages folder and clicking the Edit Collage button in the upper left area of the screen.
- Direct your own movie: Picasa even includes a movie editor where you create a slide show of your photos with background music and transitions. It saves to a Windows Media Video (.wmv) format. You can upload videos to the Picasa Web Albums, email them to friends, upload directly to YouTube, or burn them onto a CD to be played in DVD players that support the format.
- Create a gift disc: This puts selected pictures onto a CD or DVD, which can also include a automatically created slideshow. If you want your family member or friend to see the edits you've made to your photos, opt to include Picasa on the disc. Plus this gives them no excuse to why they don't have an online gallery for you to see their photos.
- Upload to a web album: Creating shareable online galleries of your photos and videos is easy with Picasa. Plus you get 1GB of space on Picasa Web Albums for free. All you have to do is right-click on the photos or video clips you want to share and select Upload to Web Albums. The first time you'll have to signup for an account. Then you can send the link to your friends. They can even download the images, link to them, or order prints.
- Export as HTML: There's yet another creative feature; you can export a folder or selected photos to HTML. You pick from several templates, where Picasa automatically creates the photo gallery web pages. Select templates include both a thumbnail page and a larger preview page. This feature is great if you already have a web site.
Eric Geier is an author of many computing and networking books, including Home Networking All-in-One Desk Reference For Dummies (Wiley 2008) and 100 Things You Need to Know about Microsoft Windows Vista (Que 2007).
Solid state disks (SSDs) made a splash in consumer technology, and now the technology has its eyes on the enterprise storage market. Download this eBook to see what SSDs can do for your infrastructure and review the pros and cons of this potentially game-changing storage technology.