Linux Top 3: Tiny Core Linux 7, Webconverger 34 and ReactOS 0.4
1) Tiny Core Linux 7
Tiny Core Linux does what the name implies, it provides a 'tiny core' base Linux platform. This week Tiny Core Linux 7.0 debuted providing users with the first major update this year.
Changelog for 7.0:
* kernel updated to 4.2.9 with the latest stable patch, with these config changes:
- minstrel enabled for some wireless cards
- vmmouse disabled for VMWare + Xvesa
- the cpu limit on the 64-bit kernel raised to 64
* busybox updated to 1.24.1
* busybox patched to fix "crontab -e" error
* glibc updated to 2.22
* glibc patched for dns vunerability
* gcc updated to 5.2.0
* e2fsprogs base libs/apps updated to 1.42.13
* util-linux base libs/apps updated to 2.27
* tc-config: use full path for hwclock, from Misalf
2) Webconverger 34.0
The Webconveger Linux distribution is also a small Linux distribution (though it's not Tiny) that has a simple goal - to be a web kiosk. Fundamentally it's just a thin Linux shim, on which Firefox can run (why didn't Mozilla ever do this?).
The big shift for Webconverger is an update to Firefox 44. Additionally the entire download process for for webconverger itself has not been secured thanks to the use of free SSL/TLS certficates from Lets Encrypt.
3) ReactOS 0.4
It has been a long time since there was a major point update for ReactOS, which is an effort to remake Windows NT on an open-source Linux-type base. In fact ReactOS 0.3 was released nearly a decade ago. The new 0.4.0 update released on February 16 still isn't 'production-ready' but it is the biggest step forward the project has taken in 10 years.
A great deal of work has gone into making this release happen and as we look back it is remarkable to consider how far the project has come since that release a decade ago. This release is both a celebration of and a testament to everything that the ReactOS team and community has achieved together.
Sean Michael Kerner is a senior editor at LinuxPlanet and InternetNews.com. Follow him on Twitter @TechJournalist